Saturday, June 20, 2015

How to Make Organic Laundry Detergent - 3 Ingredients!! Easy!

Hello!

Most people close to me know that I'm all about affordable organic products. I use facial products that are natural and good for the skin, I use organic shampoo, and try to eat some affordable fruits and veggies when I can. I took my personal organic journey a step further and decided to try organic laundry detergent!! I am THRILLED with the results. My clothes came out clean, but without all the yucky chemicals from regular detergent. So today I'm sharing with you what I did and how to make it...enjoy!

First of all, I based my recipe off of this lovely lady's recipe:
http://www.lifecouldbeadreamblog.com/diy-laundry-detergent-for-sensitive-skin/

I did tweak it a bit though.

The only ingredients you need are...
8 cups of baking soda (about 1.48 because you'll probably need 2 boxes)
6 cups of Super Washing Soda (about 4 bucks and in the laundry aisle like she mentioned!)
2 bars of castille soap.....I used the basic Kirk's Coco Castille soap which is about 3 bucks for 3 bars!

First of all, you're going to need to grate the 2 bars of castille soap. It doesn't matter how big the grated pieces are they just need to be grated and put into a bowl.

Next, boil some water and put all of your grated pieces into the boiling water. It needs to melt completely and will be a light yellow color. Melt it to the point where there is no more chunks left. Then let cool.

Now combine the 8 cups of Super Washing Soda and roughly the 2 boxes or 6 cups of baking soda.
Bro tip: you're going to need a biiiig bowl for this one!

Lastly, pour the liquid castille soap mixture with the combined washing and baking soda mixture.
I'm sure you could also pour the soda into the pot with the melted castille soap mixture, but I'm just putting what I did...if you try it though, let us know!

It should be a powdery-small-chunk mixture. Put into a big jar like mine or a half-gallon mason jar.
When using it to do laundry, all you need is 1/4 cup of it and you're good to go!!! It should last AT LEAST 4 months, but I'm guessing it will last a lot longer. Also, if you want organic fabric softener then use a 1/2 cup of white vinegar.

THAT'S IT. ENJOY!
P.S. I bought all the products I needed at Walmart except for the jar ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment